The digital readout of the Kidde Plug-In Digital Carbon Monoxide Alarm with 9-Volt Backup continuously displays carbon monoxide levels from 30 to 999 parts per million (PPM) and will sound an 85 dB alarm when dangerous levels are reached. The carbon monoxide level sensed is continuously displayed and updated every 15 seconds, and the peak level memory shows the highest level of carbon monoxide present since the last time the unit was reset or unplugged. Protection continues during power outages thanks to a 9-volt battery backup.
(61 reviews) 60
95%of customersrecommend this product56 of 59reviews
Rating Breakdown61 reviews
95%of customersrecommend this product56 of 59reviews
I bought a Nighthawk plug in in 1996. It's now 2012 and I never realized it need to be replaced. OMG, it just went off at 5:00AM this morning. I found that the side venting furnace had a large hole on the top side of the duct due to rust. CM was leaking into the basement and carried up stairs. My wife had complained about headaches, but we never connected the dots until the alarm went off.
Needless to say I'm buying 3 more today! Thanks, NH
52out of52found this review helpful.
Review 4 for Plug-In Carbon Monoxide Alarm with Digital Display and 9-Volt Backup
I bought this because of its digital readout and max CO level memory. After reading the directions I realized that it has a built-in power adapter ("wall wart" style) with a long cord neatly stowed in back, which allows this unit to be directly plugged into an outlet, or the adapter can be plugged into any outlet while the main unit is resting on a table top (stand included) or is mounted on a wall at a more comfortable reading height than the outlet is located.
Pros: Easy to Use, Nice Design, Easy Installation
15out of15found this review helpful.
Review 5 for Plug-In Carbon Monoxide Alarm with Digital Display and 9-Volt Backup
This is the second unit of this particular model we have owned. The first unit was only supposed to last 4-5 years (the detector has a limited lifespan by design), and it lasted over 7 years! This new unit has a supposedly longer lasting detector, which brings me more peace of mind. This unit is so convenient, you can either plug it straight into a wall outlet, or, it will let you take the AC adapter out of the housing, so you can move the unit to the top of a cabinet if needs be (the lead will go to almost 5 feet without difficulty). Price is still reasonable, and even though we could get a combo smoke/monoxide detector now, we have chosen to repeat this purchase. In my opinion, you will not be disappointed. And yes, it DOES detect monoxide levels, works when power goes down (battery back up), and lets you know when the battery gets low, and is loud enough to be heard from 2 stories up!
We've had 3 nighthawks and I am purchasing the fourth one. This last one lasted 8 years. We love this product. It never fails. The alarm went off once. And it was due to the gas burner being left on accidentally by someone in the household (could have been me). We leave one upstairs (kitchen) and one downstairs (basement). I personally have encouraged people to buy it and will continue to do so. I am a kidde safety fanatic. We have 3 combo alarms, 2 nighthawks and 2 home fire extinguishers. Can you guess what I do for a living? I am an ER nurse.
23out of25found this review helpful.
Review 9 for Plug-In Carbon Monoxide Alarm with Digital Display and 9-Volt Backup
I bought two of these and they both lasted almost exactly seven years. I purchased them in Feb of 06 and they both displayed Err messages within a week of each other in Feb of 2013. I called Kidde and they told me that they normally last 7 years and then need replacement. Hard to believe but I need to more. Be aware that I was told that it seven years from production date, the date is on the back of the unit. My alarms were both made in Sept of 03 so they had been on the shelf for three years when I bought them. Make sure they are current year production when you buy yours.
Pros: Easy to Use, Great Sound Quality, Loud, Battery Length
Cons: Burns Out
48out of62found this review helpful.
Review 11 for Plug-In Carbon Monoxide Alarm with Digital Display and 9-Volt Backup
I finallly got an error message and the manual said to call the company. They asked me for the manufacturing date, which was 8 years ago (which is probably how long I've had it), and said it is simply time to be replaced. I plan on buying another one just like it.
10out of10found this review helpful.
Review 13 for Plug-In Carbon Monoxide Alarm with Digital Display and 9-Volt Backup
ok, brought this product in January or Feb of 2014 after my first have showed the ERR message. The first CM lasted 7 years, so replaced with same. Only this time every 2-3 weeks it beeps and shows low battery, replaced the battery each time, long story short after 4-5 months I have replaced the battery several times. Called the company told them the problem, first thing he told me when he asked where I had it, I said the livingroom, he stated "they don't normally recommend it being in LR". Stated I had the last one the same place. Now I am awaiting the replacement from Kidde. Year made is July 2013.
Cons: Short Battery Life
3out of4found this review helpful.
Review 16 for Plug-In Carbon Monoxide Alarm with Digital Display and 9-Volt Backup
For most of my adult life I have worked with gases and flamable's. I have seen first hand what deadly things we can't see, can do. It just makes sense not to want to be killed by something you don't know is there. CO gas can't be smelled, or seen. This Kidde Unit measures the air for dangerous levels of this culprit. It constantly monitors your homes air for the dangerous killer. You just put the back up battery in and plug it into the wall. I would hate to get the the pearly gates and have to explain how I got there, when this thing is available. It's a small price to pay for your families safety.
Pros: Great Sound Quality, Loud, Lots of Features, Eco-Friendly, Clear Instructions, Nice Design, Easy Installation, digital display to see the co levels
11out of19found this review helpful.
Review 19 for Plug-In Carbon Monoxide Alarm with Digital Display and 9-Volt Backup
Our previous CO detector lasted for seven years and we bought this one as a replacement. We have it plugged in, but am glad that it has a battery backup. This would be an ideal gift for a new home owner.
4out of4found this review helpful.
Review 20 for Plug-In Carbon Monoxide Alarm with Digital Display and 9-Volt Backup
I bought two of these 8 years ago. One the same day, eight years later, BOTh units displayed an ERR msg which indicates they no longer work and need to be replaced. They obviously have some sort of "self destruct" built in. I don't believe it's a coincidence they died on the same day. Needless to say, it's a necessary item and worked fine for 8 years, so I'll likely buy two more.
Pros: Easy to Use, Loud, Easy Replacement, Easy Installation