May 31, 2013
Please read the Safety section of the Operator's Manual for directions on safe operation of the mower. You can view the Operator's Manual online at http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/97/97789d82-14e9-4987-9fb3-5f5e4b1f2841.pdf. Below is an excerpt from the manual regarding safe mower operation.
• Read, understand, and follow all instructions on the machine and in the manual(s) before starting.
• Do not put hands or feet near or under the machine. Keep clear of the discharge opening at all times.
• Only allow responsible adults, who are familiar with the instructions, to operate this machine.
• Clear the area of objects such as rocks, wire, toys, etc., which could be thrown by the blade. Stay behind the handle when the engine is running.
• Be sure the area is clear of bystanders before operating. Stop machine if anyone enters the area.
• Do not operate machine barefooted or while wearing sandals. Always wear substantial footwear.
• Do not pull the machine backward unless it is absolutely necessary. Always look down and behind before and while moving backward.
• Never direct discharged material toward anyone. Avoid discharging material against a wall or obstruction. Material may ricochet back toward the operator. Stop the blade when crossing gravel surfaces.
• Do not operate machine without the entire grass catcher, discharge guard, rear guard, or other safety protective devices in place and working.
• Never leave a running machine unattended.
• Stop the engine and wait until the blades come to a complete stop before cleaning the machine, removing the grass catcher, or unclogging the discharge guard.
• Operate machine only in daylight or good artificial light.
• Do not operate machine while under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
• Never operate the machine in wet grass. Always be sure of your footing; walk; never run.
• Disengage the drive system, if so equipped, before starting the engine.
• If the machine should start to vibrate abnormally, stop the engine and check for the cause immediately. Vibration is generally a warning of trouble.
• Always wear eye protection when operating the machine.
• See the manufacturer's instructions for proper operation and installation of accessories. Use only accessories approved by the manufacturer.
Tragic accidents can occur if the operator is not alert to the presence of children. Children are often attracted to the machine and the mowing activity. Never assume that children will remain where you last saw them.
• Keep children out of the mowing area and under the watchful care of a responsible adult other than the operator.
• Be alert and turn machine off if a child enters the area.
• Never allow children to operate the machine.
• Use extra care when approaching blind corners, shrubs, trees, or other objects that may block your view of a child.
2out of 3found this answer helpful.